Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Saga of Buying the Minivan

Yep, that's right. I am now the proud owner of a minivan. I always said NEVER would I drive one. But, really....it just makes more sense. And no matter how I tried to come up with a solution, there was just no way 3 carseats would fit in my SUV.

It was quite a journey to get the van. We left our house yesterday morning at 8:00 to meet my parents in Waco. They took Ava & Drew home with them & Jeremy & I continued on to Dallas(we had found the best deal on both the new car & trade in there). Everything was going well..we made good time & stopped to eat lunch at Grandy's(I LOVE Grandy's!). About 5 minutes after leaving the parking lot, warning messages began popping up on the dash: battery is not recharging, engine is overheating. Then, the power steering went out. Thankfully Jeremy was driving, b/c I know I would have totally freaked out. But, he was able to calmly get us off the highway & into a parking lot.

**Did I mention that we were apx 10 MILES from the dealership!?!?**

Jeremy called AAA(thank you, Bill, for our memberships!!) & they sent a tow truck. He took us to the Saab dealership & they quickly worked us in. We headed down to the VW dealership, where they were holding our van, to check in & let them know what was going on.

Turned out the water pump & belt had to be replaced. The wonderful Saab service department got that all taken care for us by 5:00. Off to the VW dealership to sign all the paperwork.
Finally, after much stress & both of us completely worn out, we drove my new VW Routan off the lot. So, what should have been an 8 hr trip turned into a 12 hr trip!

We are very thankful that it didn't happen with me & the kids alone......that the tow truck was so quick getting to us....that the Saab service people worked us in & fixed it.....that the VW people patiently waited for us to get there.

Bye Bye Saab 97X:

Me in my new VW Routan:

6 comments:

Lee and Heather Robinson said...

Welcome to the loser cruiser club! We're going to make minivans cool! ;-)

Layer said...

Jen, I have to say... I never thought you would drive a mini-van!:)

Jen said...

Yup- Heather is right- you can be in our Loser Cruiser Club!!! I think we all said we would NEVER drive a mini van and her we are. You are right- it makes sense. I love Grandy's too and wish it was still around here.

Kelly said...

Oh, I gotta say I love the new mini-van. It's not your mom's mini-van! That is NICE!

Bummer about the old car issues... so close to trading that sucker in too!

Auto Studio said...

Good post! Cheers!

Saab Service

Auto Studio said...

Awesome..It was quite a journey for you to get the van. and You are now the proud owner of a minivan..Get to Know More about saab service? Just visit the website for more details...